Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans is Awarded a $2 Million Grant from Veterans Administration | Award is the Largest Amount Granted in the State of Louisiana

Media Contact:
Donna Betzer
Volunteers of America
(o) 504-486-8667 | (c) 504-722-9575


New Orleans, LA (October 29, 2015) – The Veterans Administration has awarded Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans a $2 million, three-year grant to provide supportive services to homeless and at-risk veterans. The grant will allow Volunteers of America to support 600 veteran households across Louisiana.

Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans has been providing Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) for more than four years. It was the first organization to receive funding to provide such services in Greater New Orleans, and one of only three organizations funded for this area during the latest award cycle. The SSVF program utilizes the expertise and services of Volunteers of America and other community agencies to provide comprehensive case management for veterans who are homeless or who are in danger of becoming homeless. It includes assistance with paying past due utility bills, security and utility deposits, child care, and rent for up to five months, as well as assistance with personal financial planning, transportation, legal assistance, housing counseling and employment skills training and placement. Through this grant, approximately 60 percent of the veterans that Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans serves will receive rapid rehousing services – assistance for those who are experiencing homelessness to be quickly re-housed and stabilized – and the remaining 40 percent will receive homeless prevention services.

For more than 25 years, Volunteers of America has taken a leadership role in addressing the problem of homelessness in the New Orleans area, and the organization has been recognized locally, statewide and nationally for their work with homeless veterans. 

“Volunteers of America believes all families have the right to a permanent housing environment that is affordable, safe and stable,” says Voris Vigee, Executive Vice President of Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans. “We employ a holistic approach to facilitate stability for very low and extremely low income veteran families.” 

For more information about Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans, please visit www.voagno.org or call the Supportive Services for Veteran Families program at 504-483-3558.
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, faith-based organization dedicated to helping those in need rebuild their lives and reach their full potential. Since 1896, our ministry of service has supported and empowered America's most vulnerable groups, including at-risk youth, the frail elderly, men returning from prison, people with disabilities, and those recovering from addictions. Our work touches the mind, body, heart-and ultimately the spirit-of those we serve, integrating our deep compassion with highly effective programs and services.